Healthy Chocolate Banana MuffinsHeather Andres
Chocolate and banana is always a winning combination, and these muffins are no exception. Whip up a batch whenever your sweet tooth is acting up, and enjoy a guilt-free treat with just the right amount of sweetness. The bananas are the key to sweetening this muffin without the need for a lot of sugar, while Greek yogurt and optional whole wheat flour add protein and fiber for a healthy treat any time. Our kids love these for a high-energy, after-school snack that tastes great, and we like them for a special, waistline-friendly indulgence! We like to make these on the weekend and enjoy them with our morning coffee, then munch on the leftovers all week long!
Chocolate Banana Muffins
- 4 ripe bananas, well mashed
- 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat or all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350º F and grease a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl until well blended. Stir in chocolate chips and set aside.
- Crack egg into a large bowl, and whisk until well beaten. Whisk in the yogurt, oil and vanilla until mixture is completely blended.
- Stir mashed banana into the yogurt mixture. Gradually add in flour mixture, stirring until fully combined.
- Divide the batter between the prepared muffin cups, filling them about 3/4 full. Bake muffins for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Recipe adapted from Organize Yourself Skinny